Wednesday 13 April 2016

@Phil [Major Project] 41: Mini-Animation 01; Test Shots & Influence Map

My mini-animation's style takes strong inspiration from the BBC Key Stage 3 Bitesize: Chemistry - Periodic Table activity, such as the use of an overlaid paper texture, and the appearance & layout of the loading screen; the paper textures are free & royalty free from textures.com

I chose this as inspiration because Bitesize is a high quality online educational platform that many UK school children would be familiar with, so giving my animation this aesthetic will hopefully benefit the viewer & the animation itself. I chose KS3 because "Key Stage 3 is the first three years of secondary school education in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, for pupils aged 11 to 14." - BBC, my target audience is 11 - 13 year olds. 

In the animation Oxygen & Hydrogen's faces will fade out to reveal their inner structure. The dotted lines represent the left-over spaces for electrons, in Oxygen's case he has space for only two more electrons.

@Phil would my loading screen look more suitable with or without the atom symbol in the background?

Oxygen atomic structure

Oxygen atomic structure with face 50% opacity

Hydrogen atomic structure

Hydrogen atomic structure with face 50% opacity

Loading Screen V01: Without background symbol

Loading Screen V02: With background symbol

Paper Texture Tests

Oxygen face with paper texture 01

Oxygen face with paper texture 02

Oxygen face with paper texture 03 (chosen)

Initial Electron Designs

Originally I had tried designing the electrons with faces inspired by the characters they reside within, attempting this with Hydrogen made me realise that I was overcomplicating things, so I reduced my atomic structure design to simple yellow circles orbiting red protons & blue neutrons. Here are my abandoned designs... 

Abandoned Hydrogen electron thumbnails 01-11

Influence Map



1 comment:

  1. I'm not a fan of the paper textures - seems not so appropriate to your vinyl world. Re. the loading screen, I think the atom background is working.

    ReplyDelete