Tuesday 8 September 2015

{3rd Year} Project Idea: Periodic Elements in their Natural Habitats

Background Information
My Adaptation B project proved to be my most enjoyable project to date, during which I turned three of the periodic elements into characters. This project tapped into many of my creative interests such as Illustrator, 3D modelling and science. The resulting pride has shown me that periodic elements as characters is a concept I want to carry into my third year major -and hopefully in some form, minor- project, here is my main idea...


Basic Premise
An animation showing a limited number of periodic element characters and their properties, in which the characters would be shown interacting with each other in their natural (and un-natural) habitats. May include a wildlife documentary style voiceover if appropriate, perhaps with a David Attenborough-esque feel. For a great example, see here.

Left to Right: Helium, Graphite, Diamond and Hydrogen


Environment Design
The literally universal spread of the periodic elements opens up a lot of possibilities for locations, such as upon the surface of the Moon, or even Mars, and of course, Earth. However any environment(s) would be minimalist in appearance, to fit with the characters themselves. The number of environments will be limited to between one and four, to keep the primary focus firmly on the characters themselves.

Minimalist Influence Map

Target Audience
The target audience will likely be teenagers aged around 16+, however I may raise this to young adults in their 20's depending on how I choose to depict some of the dangers associated with many of the periodic elements e.g. Hydrogen's explosivity, Uranium's radioactivity, or Mercury's toxicity.

Colour Palette
The animation may be of a primarily bright colour palette, however less overtly saturated colours will likely be used as well, such as Crimson. A good reference of the kind of colour palette I might go for is in the periodic characters I have already created.


Colour Influence Map


Software
This would be achieved primarily via a combination of Maya, Illustrator, After Effects and Audition. Illustrator for the thumbnails, concept art and orthographic projections. Maya for character modelling, texturing & animation. After Effects for compositing, minor vfx, and sfx. Audition for sound editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment